Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My excitement can not be contained any longer. I bought a book by Jeri Warhaftig, "Creating Glass Beads". And let me tell reading this book and working with it is like having an instructor-in-a-box delivered right to my front door. Wonderful book.

Since my absence from this blog, I have turned into a glass bead maniac who wants to make great lampwork beads. I have taken some lessons-loved those for sure, BUT when the money wasn't there any more to continue this, I decided to practice what I've learned. Practice, practice, practice. Reminds me of calligraphy - you really have to learn to crawl before you can do the gorgeous lettering. Same thing. OK, here's the thing. Jeri's first book, "Glass Bead Workshop" was so great, I just knew the next one would be-well, more of the same. NOT! This 2nd book is so awesome. Yes, there are projects and good ones too. BUT what is so different than any book I've ever seen on teaching lampwork techniques is that she shows what other beadmakers did with each of her projects. Fun, huh? Each were very nice - and yet slightly different than hers. See I already know my work will not look like the experienced writer of the book's. But how different? Are mine any good? Then at the back of the book Jeri shows us the beads th
at she made for each project that she didn't feel were the best ones to be published for that particular project. What THAT taught me was that in fact, she had to do the project over and over and over (remember that word, practice?) until she was satisfied with the one she liked best for the project. I was so happy to see she made wonky beads too. Oh boy, it's nice to see the good, bad and the ugly. How nice to make yourself so vulnerable for our benefit. Wow. I decided to challenge myself to do each project as if I was one of the lampworkers that Jeri had asked to participate in her book.

Here is the bead I made from the instructions from Session 1 "Ruffled Pendant". Not bad - not like the book's finished bead, but I like it just fine.
Then I tackled the next chapter - Session 2 "Cheery Little Guy". Here's a picture of how I managed to do this project. It's a shame that I don't have HER pictures to show you from her book, but you'll just have to run over to Amazon and pick one up.

Stay tuned for what I learn next!

1 comment:

Jeri said...

WOW Babette - your beads look great, and I appreciate your comments on the book. Working with the Project Testers was just like working with a group of students (but they worked from words, not the great step by step photos we have in the book!). It was a rewarding experience for me to write this, and its warm reception from beadmakers like you is thrilling. Jeri